Scrapbook Resume

Friday 13 April 2012

Friends with Flair & A Unity Challenge

It's Friends with Flair Friday at Unity! Since the March Unity Challenge is due in a couple days I thought I would post my submission today. The challenge was to create a project using a door or window on a card. I never do this, so it as an interesting challenge. I thought about how I wanted to this for quite awhile (as you can tell...it's almost then end of the challenge). And finally last night while I was tossing and turning, instead of sleeping,  I had my epiphany moment. I dreamed up a cute "shaker box" window with confetti in it - perfect for a fun birthday card.

I took some pics of the steps so you can create your own confetti "window" if you want.


Step 1 - Create Your Confetti: Take a bunch of cardstock scraps in the desired colors and punch a variety of circles in mutliple sizes. This Swiss Cheese EK Success Slim Edger Punch works perfectly, but any small circle punch or even a hole punch will work.


Step 2 - Create a Window on Card Front: I used my trimmer but this could also me accomplished with a die-cutting system. Cut the desired size rectangle out of the front of your card base. I left 3/4 inch border on my card front.
Step 3 - Create a clear shaker box: Cut two rectangular shapes out of a page protector or transparency. You need two pieces in order to create a pocket for your confetti. Make sure your clear pieces are slightly bigger than your window. Then sew around the edges of the pocket stitching it to the card base. Leave an opening (pictured above) so you can get your confetti inside. 


Step 4 - Fill your shaker box: Use the end of a straw as a scoop to put your confetti inside the shaker box. Tap all the confetti to the bottom so it will be out of the way when sewing closed.

Step 5: Close the gap by sewing the opening shut.


Step 6 - Dress it up: For the front of the card I wanted to add some pattern and I wanted to cover up my "seam" where the transparency was sewn onto the card base. Washi tape worked perfectly for this. This particular tape was the right width and everything. Now you are ready for embellishing and a sentiment.



Ok so here is the finished product!



Supplies Used: Bazzill Cardstock; K & Co Black Dot Smash Tape; Licorice Divine Twine; Jenni Bowlin Ink - Fountain Pen; Balloons - October Afternoon & Echo Park patterns


The Unity stamps I used on this card are:
Party Party Party - Itty Bitty


Head to Soul - March 2012 Kit of the Month

Thanks for looking everyone! Hope you try your own confetti window! Happy Friday:)

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This card turned out brilliantly Shilo - thanks for the step by step instructions too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I love the window and confetti with the balloons on front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun card!!! I love how the Party stamp is peeking from behind the confetti. Thanks for the tutorial, I may be trying something similar soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is brilliant! I so needed that confetti punch earlier this week. I filled a glassine bag with confetti circles that I made one by one using my Crop A Dile

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey girl i just wanted to stop by & say congratulation's for getting on the shortlist over at scrapbook nook, fingers crossed for the rest of the journey xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is genius! I love your work! ♥ Congrats on making the 1st short list over at the Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative and clever. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! this is gorgeous! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make beautiful cards Shilo! I wanted to pop over and say hi from one Canadian girl to another :) Congrats on making the short list at the Nook. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome and looks so festive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that card is insanely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a great card! I love the pocket that you created and the confetti - such a fabulous idea - a must try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so love your card! LOVE the confetti against the black/white tape.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this card is amazing - love everything about it

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! seriously WOW!!! loove this so much!

    ReplyDelete